Young children, especially those under age six, are always exploring because of their developing mobility and natural curiosity. Their curiosity, however, can lead to unintentional poisoning, even around their own home.
In fact, 56 percent of the 82,675 calls to the Indiana Poison Center in 2006 involved children age five and under. Most of those calls involved unintentional poisonings and most were preventable.
Call (800) 222-1222 right away if someone may have been poisoned or if you have questions about poisons and poison prevention. If the person who is poisoned can't wake up, is having trouble breathing or is having seizures, CALL 9-1-1.
Your call will be answered by one of the specialists at the poison center. These experts are trained nurses and pharmacists who specialize in poisoning emergency treatment and poison prevention. The poison specialist will help you to decide if you need to go to a hospital. Most poisonings are not life threatening and can be handled at home with the help of a specialist, saving you time and money.